Child sets fire to mattress at Aware Transitional Housing

    JUNEAU, Alaska (KINY) - The fire marshal's office says the Friday night fire at Aware Transitional Housing, 3410 Glacier Highway, was caused by a small child using a lighter that ignited a mattress in the apartment living room.

    Capital City Fire, upon arrival, found light smoke coming from a second floor, a small smoldering fire in the apartment, and the building sprinkler system activated, having extinguished most of the fire. There were no injuries reported and the family was relocated to a different apartment until the water could be cleaned up.

    Capital City Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone to have a working smoke alarm in every sleeping room and on every floor of your home. The best chance for survival is early detection and early evacuation.

    More from News of the North

    Crude Oil Price

    Current Conditions