Ketchikan man files $4.5 million suit over his arrest

    KETCHIKAN, Alaska (AP) — A Ketchikan man is suing the city and its police department over allegations of malicious prosecution stemming from his arrest two years ago.

    The Ketchikan Daily News reports Walter Reichard's $4.5 million lawsuit, which also alleges false arrest and official misconduct resulting in injury, was filed this week.

    The 35-year-old Reichard was arrested in September 2014 for allegedly violating a protective order that had been issued against him.

    Prosecutors eventually dropped the misdemeanor charge that was filed against him.

    Reichard had been jailed from his arrest through the case's dismissal two months later.

    He says he filed the lawsuit partly because a judge denied his request to have his name removed from Alaska's online court system.

    Ketchikan's attorney said Wednesday the city hadn't yet been served with the suit.

    More from News of the North

    Crude Oil Price

    Current Conditions