Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - The 2022 tourism survey for Juneau is out, the survey was conducted by McKinley Research.
500 randomly selected residents were surveyed (starting pg. 11.) 35% said tourism had a positive impact. 41% said both positive and negative impacts, and 16% said there's no impact.
Juneau Tourism Manager Alex Pierce spoke to the results on action line. She highlighted the change of past responses.
"We were at about 40% positive in 2002, and we're at 35% in 2022, both positive and negative creeped up a little bit, 41% in 2022 from 37% back in 2002 and 33% last year and then negative impacts have stayed pretty steady at somewhere between 6-8%, with no impact being the highest in 2021, but still not a huge change 20% to 16% between 2021 and 2022, which is a little bit understandable coming off of the pandemic. We're asking people in 2021 to think back to 2019," she said. "So, to me, it helps me see whether there are major changes in the impacts to the community these are these really aren't major changes."
The question of whether to cap ships in Juneau about half of the respondents, 46%, are supportive of a five large ship limit. 60% said in another question that limiting large ships a day to five should be a high priority.
"We had 43% say they were supportive and 26% said they were very supportive for a total of 69%, with 20% either opposed or very opposed. And the five ship limit first showed up in our long range waterfront plan in 2004. So, we've been talking about this for 20 years, and our port capacity has been five ships for the past 20 years or so, and with the discussion around a potential fifth cruise ship dock, it's important that we maintain our current capacity and don't translate adding another dock which may have benefits for vehicle management, congestion mitigation, some of the things that we were talking about in earlier parts of the survey by just moving a ship full of people outside of the downtown bottleneck," Pierce said. "At the same time, if that means adding a whole nother ship in port that are available every day with the anchorage then that's problematic and that doesn't meet our long term tourism goals, so now we're trying to solidify that five ship limit. I presented the assembly with a range of options for that. We're pursuing it through negotiation with the industry. that's of everybody's preferred - or I guess CBJ and the industry's preferred method at this point."